Racehorse trainer Stephen Gray
Stephen Gray and the Copper Belt Racing Stables (S) Pte Ltd is based at the Singapore Turf Club, Kranji. Originally from New Zealand, Stephen moved his training operations to Singapore in 2000.
After building a successful partnership with his trainer father, Kevin Gray, Stephen decided to explore the opportunities and possibilities available overseas. On the invitation of the Singapore Turf Club, Stephen moved to the modern and the then newly completed Turf Club at Kranji.
Since arriving in Singapore, Stephen has developed a successful business and is respected by his fellow trainers, owners, racing authority and others in the racing fraternity here.
His wife Bridget is also Stephen's business partner and the family, along with children James and Katie, has settled in well into the Singapore way of life.
The Copper Belt Racing Stables have put together a team of dedicated people to train and care for the horses. It is with this team and his own undying commitment that Stephen continues to achieve greater heights in thoroughbred racing.
Since arriving in Singapore Stephen has trained over 150 winners including success at Group level with Lim's Reward (Group 2 Patron's Bowl) St Kentigern (Kranji Sprint) and Kelantan (Group 2 Three-Year-old Challenge) and Lim's Prestige (Group 1 Emirates Singapore Derby 2007).
- Began equine career, as trainee on stud farm and in racing stables
- Assistant trainer to Brian Deacon.
- Brian Deacon is an established trainer and well-known mentor 1987
- Obtained Professional Trainer's Licence from New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing Incorporated.
- Became partners with father, Kevin Gray in Copper Belt Lodge
- Copper Belt Lodge being one of the biggest stables in the Central Districts, New Zealand
- Owners include those from New Zealand, Australia and Singapore-Trained over 500 winners, including Group & Listed race winners:
1993 Sheraton NZ Stakes Kates Tric
1994 Te Puha Pack N Cool Kates Tric
1995 Povirua Club Cuddles Roman Penny
1996 Harlow Butter FIS Hcp Esquire Gray
2000 Windsor Park Stakes Volkaire
- Ranked among the top 10 trainers in New Zealand, with Kevin Gray for 5 straight years
- Conducted school for apprentice jockeys
- Vice President of the Central Districts Trainer's Association of New Zealand
- Chairman of the Central Districts Apprentice Board
- Sat on the Committee of the New Zealand Apprentice Board & the Waverley Racing Club
- Obtained Trainer's Licence from Malayan Racing Association
- At that stage Stephen was the youngest trainer based in Singapore at the age of 35
- Number of stable horses grew from 14 to over 50 within first 2 years
- Owners include those from New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Japan, India, Malaysia and USA
- Consistently among top 6 trainers in Singapore
- Employs local and overseas staff for training and career advancements.
- His apprentices have all been given the opportunity to ride overseas in both New Zealand and Australia.
- Introduces overseas jockeys into Singapore racing scene
2001 winning the Kranji Sprint with St Kentigern
2004 winning Patrons Bowl Group 2 with Lim's Reward owned by the prominet Lim's Stable
- The 2006 season has been one filled with success and while there is still some five months to go we trained 4 winners in a night our first with Katie's Dream, Seaside City, Cool Judgement and Our Frederik.
- Kelantan winning the second leg of 3 yr old series JBBA Trophy Group 2.
- Stephen is looking ahead to 2007 when some of the stable's stars Kelantan, Wind Chaser, Mexborough Ladd and our youngsters will come out.
- While there are already plenty of winners in the stables, there are also several young horses being put through their pre-training routines in New Zealand, in preparation for import to Singapore in 2007.
- Finshing 5th on the premiership with 43 winners, 36 seconds and 41 thirds.
- Promising youngsters going places Cheyenne Dancer, Kipadi, King of Honour, Cherry Power, Al Nader, Championship, Lions Roar.
- Lim's Prestige winning the Emirates Singapore Derby Group 1 also we had Manuka and promising King of Honour giving us 3 winners on derby day. 2006 we also had 3 winners on Derby day with Kelantan, Reilly Gold and Cool Judgement.
- Promising stayer's Wind Chaser, Lim's Prestige and Mexborough Ladd heading to Cups.
- Apprentice Mohd Azrull riding through the grades.
- Total 36 winners for the season
- 36 wins for the season
- 49 winners for the season 4th on premiership. Highlights were Given Vision winning 2nd (Group 3) and 3rd Legs (Group 2) 3 year old series and finishing 2nd in the Singapore Gold Cup, 3rd Raffles Cup. A promising youngster with a big future only 8 starts for 5 wins. Goldschatz winning Group 3 Proinn Construct Stakes on the poly track first feature race on our all weather track. Another promising youngster by O'reilly called Langstraat going through the grades also Ryan James going well.
- Promising youngster to follow Not My Fault, Goldschatz winning the mini feature Woodlands Classic Stakes. Diplomatic Strike owned by Eliza Park, Australia going through the grades and some nice imports that have just arrive late last year.